My Body Needs Help by Annette Abrams is a hopeful story in art and verse about a young cancer patient who visualizes what’s happening to her body, explains her feelings and is strengthened by helper heroes in the effort to regain her health. Abrams’ book, published by Guild organizational member Tenley Circle Press, is recommended for professionals and families coping with cancer.
Since its publication in early August 2011, more than a thousand copies have been sent to clinicians, child life specialists, cancer patients and their families.
Individuals and groups have purchased copies for cancer centers across the country:
• Eugenio Litta Children’s Hospital/Mayo Clinic (Rochester MN)
• American Family Children’s Hospital/University of Wisconsin (Madison WI)
• Holtz Children’s Hospital/University of Miami (FL)
• All Children’s Hospital (Saint Petersburg FL)
• New York Presbyterian/Komansky Children’s Hospital (NY)
• Long Island Jewish Medical Center (NY)
• Saint Louis Children’s Hospital (MO)
• Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh UPMC (PA)
• University Hospital/Case Medical Center (Cleveland OH)
• Children’s Memorial Hospital (Chicago IL)
• Children’s Medical Center (Dallas TX)
• Children’s Cancer Hospital/Anderson Cancer Center (Houston TX)
• Children’s Hospital at Montefiore (Bronx NY)
• Saint Jude’s Hospital (Memphis TN)
• Washington Home and Hospice (DC)
• Ronald MacDonald House (MN)
• Lombardi Cancer Center/Georgetown University Hospital (DC)
• Katzen Cancer Center/George Washington University Hospital (DC)
• Kimmel Cancer Center/Johns Hopkins Medicine (Baltimore MD)
• West Virginia University Medical Center (Morgantown WV)
• National Institutes of Health (Bethesda MD)
Copies of My Body Needs Help were also given to Mark Davis to support his Ride for Lilly and Lilly’s Foundation for Childhood Cancer.
Read more about Annette Abrams, including reviews of My Body Needs Help in The Baltimore Sun and The Montgomery County Gazette.