Author/Illustrator: Fairfax Station, VA
Come visit my new animated website at www.rosalynschanzer.com
||K-adult (all picture books). Partial list includes Witches! The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem, What Darwin Saw: The Journey that Changed the World; John Smith Escapes Again!; George vs. George: The American Revolution as Seen From Both Sides; How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning; Davy Crockett Saves the World; The Old Chisholm Trail: a Cowboy Song; Escaping to America: a True Story; Gold Fever! Tales From The California Gold Rush; How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis & Clark; The True-or-False /book of Dogs; The True-or-False Book of Horses; The True-or-False Book of Cats; Ezra's Quest; Ezra in Pursuit: The Great Maze Chase; Animal Architects; Ten Good Rules; and many more.
||Up to 3 presentations a day, $1,600. Overnight trips or trips over 50 miles away, $1,800 plus all travel expenses. Discounts are available for multiple-day events.
||Ages 5-adult; any size group; speaks nationwide and internationally at schools (usually grades K-8), universities, seminars, conferences, panel discussions, workshops, etc.
||All Shows are customized to meet your needs and can include any combination of the following:
- CD Slide Shows: Gloriously illustrated, fast-paced, informative, and humorous. Great for all ages. (A dark room, projector, and screen are required.)
- Storytelling in costume with props and sound effects: Rollicking, riveting shows for grades K-3 featuring volunteers from the audience and plenty of interaction!
- True Stories from History: Using one book of your choice for each presentation, we will explore an exciting story in depth; if you like, you can also coordinate each nonfiction book with your school's own curriculum. Examples include:
And much more. All talks can be presented as CD slide shows and are guaranteed to appeal to every age level from Pre-K through adult.
- George vs. George (what George Washington and King George III really thought during the Revolutionary War)
- The terrifying truth behind Salem’s infamous witch trials
- Amazing stories about Charles Darwin’s adventure–packed journey around the world and how it changed science forever
- John Smith’s twelve incredible escapes from disaster (this talk can also be geared toward Colonial Jamestown)
- The many surprising inventions and scientific experiments of Benjamin Franklin
- The daring exploits and dangerous adventures of Lewis and Clark
- The most surprising tales about California’s Gold Rush
- How my own family escaped to America (and how you can uncover your own story too)
- Adult presentations: How teachers can make history spring to life; The scoop on combining illustration with writing; Finding great research for just about any topic; How my books were written; and practically anything else you can come up with.
- Writing workshops for small groups: (One or two days) Nonfiction sessions - How to write a terrific journal or how to interview friends and family members about a past event. In fiction sessions, Schanzer tells the beginning of a funny story or a mystery and students use tips to write their own endings.
- Autographing sessions and lunches with students can be added to each day's presentations
||Awards: Schanzer has won 53 major awards and starred reviews for her books, including the 2012 Sibert Honor Award and the Society of Illustrators Gold Medal for Best Illustrated Book of 2011 for Witches! The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem. For a complete list of awards and reviews, please visit her website at www.rosalynschanzer.com.